Message Board

Back
Click on "Reply" to reply to the thread. Click on the "Quote" link next to a post to reply to the thread quoting the selected post. All times are GMT. Current system time is 8/13/2020 11:11:21 PM.
Author
Post
Big Daddy O'Reilly

Posted:
10/1/2009 4:18:33 PM

Episodes that Reflect Your Own Life

As many of you know, I get a kick out of "Your Hit Parade" (6x19) because the plot of Radar being the camp DJ, but nobody likes listening to him (mainly because Potter kept requesting "Sentimental Journey" over and over again) is really a throwback to Grade 8 when I was a DJ for our school's news/radio program, but none of the other kids liked when I had the helm, because being in the ghetto, they wanted to hear hip-hop and rap, meanwhile I kept playing a variety of oldies and 80s and a few modern songs that weren't rap, lol.

I'd like to know if there was ever an episode that reflect anything that happened in your own life as well.

sparky58

Posted:
10/2/2009 7:14:47 AM

Well, one that I can remember is when Charles orders the left handed piano sheet music for the pianist patient. When Charles says "I have hands David, hands that can make a scapel sing, but more than anything, I wanted to make music, I can play the notes...you know a joy that I will never know as long as I live..."

I was in track and cross country in jr. high and high school. I was decent at it but no superstar. One night around the kitchen table back around 8th-9th grade, my dad who was a draftsman, talked with me about having a natural ability, about my legs and how he wished for that (my dad was 5'3") He said "you have good legs and a natural running ability, you have something I don't, look how short I am". Now I know he was trying to tell me to use what I had, how I could use my running to open doors later for college. At the time, I was thinking "sure" like any other kid, but I remember we stayed up late after dinner that night.

Well, I didn't go beyond high school with my running but when I see that episode, it reminds of that night and other talks me and my dad would have growing up.

ALso many times as icebreaker when meeting new people and others introduce me to new people, I often revert to saying "This is me". LOL

IheartM*A*S*H

Posted:
10/5/2009 7:36:31 PM

sparky58 wrote:
Well, one that I can remember is when Charles orders the left handed piano sheet music for the pianist patient. When Charles says "I have hands David, hands that can make a scapel sing, but more than anything, I wanted to make music, I can play the notes...you know a joy that I will never know as long as I live..."

I was in track and cross country in jr. high and high school. I was decent at it but no superstar. One night around the kitchen table back around 8th-9th grade, my dad who was a draftsman, talked with me about having a natural ability, about my legs and how he wished for that (my dad was 5'3") He said "you have good legs and a natural running ability, you have something I don't, look how short I am". Now I know he was trying to tell me to use what I had, how I could use my running to open doors later for college. At the time, I was thinking "sure" like any other kid, but I remember we stayed up late after dinner that night.

Well, I didn't go beyond high school with my running but when I see that episode, it reminds of that night and other talks me and my dad would have growing up.

ALso many times as icebreaker when meeting new people and others introduce me to new people, I often revert to saying "This is me". LOL

Well,quite a few do.A few years ago when both of my great-grandmothers passed,I watchws "The Life You Save" non-stop.I've always been curious about what happens after you die/while you're dying,but this was different...I was always thinking about it....but then I just had a mini-marathon and I felt so much better..
But on the lighter side, I always do "This is me!"!!!!!!!!! XD

wdm1219inpenna

Posted:
10/24/2009 5:33:52 AM

I graduated from high school in 1985, and that reminded me of "Goodbye, Farewell & Amen". MASH had an 11 year run, I had a 13 year run in public school. I had a science teacher who reminded me a little bit of Col. Potter at the time. Looking back now, he sort of had a Jack Benny personality to him as well, one of my alltime favorite teachers. April Fools is another episode I can relate to. I often pull pranks on people. One I did 2 years ago in my office was a 2 day setup. I'll explain it another time if anybody's interested. Suffice it to say, some folks who knew me a long time knew it was a joke, others did not, and commended me on it.

Mrs Tuttle

Posted:
10/28/2009 6:23:18 AM

sadly, at one stage in my life, it reflected the episode Who Knew? One guy from school that i had know for years was 'in love' with me. I had no idea, totally clueless unfortunately, and then he got ill with cancer and i dont think i have totally forgiven myself for not realising sooner and giving him a chance.

Jeeter

Posted:
10/29/2009 2:01:33 AM

My friend who I never really got to know very well suddenly passed away at a very young age. And now that you mention it, it reminds me of many occurences on the show where good people had suddenly died. (Reflects mostly Abyssinia Henry, and the episode where Hawkeyes old friend on the operating table dies)

Mrs Tuttle

Posted:
10/29/2009 6:36:52 AM

Jeeter wrote:
My friend who I never really got to know very well suddenly passed away at a very young age. And now that you mention it, it reminds me of many occurences on the show where good people had suddenly died. (Reflects mostly Abyssinia Henry, and the episode where Hawkeyes old friend on the operating table dies)


After writing my post and reading yours i watched both 'who Knew' and 'Sometimes you hear the bullet'. When it relates to your own life it makes it that more real and that more sad. I cried throught out most of the episodes. But it felt good (i know that probably makes no sense what-so-ever!)

Jeeter

Posted:
10/29/2009 8:38:41 PM

Mrs Tuttle wrote:
After writing my post and reading yours i watched both 'who Knew' and 'Sometimes you hear the bullet'. When it relates to your own life it makes it that more real and that more sad. I cried throught out most of the episodes. But it felt good (i know that probably makes no sense what-so-ever!)

It makes quite a bit of sense actually. :)I'm sorry to hear about your story with the guy who died of cancer. I'll have to watch Who Knew? again. I completely forget how that episode went, I haven't been watching M*A*S*H as often as i should be.

DrHunnicut

Posted:
10/29/2009 9:34:24 PM

I got back into watching M*A*S*H this past summer, specifically season 4 and on. One episode that stuck out to me was "The Interview." I felt like hearing how the characters reflected on how they changed at the 4077 really matched how I felt after going through several traumatic incidents at college. Like BJ, and how he doesn't notice pain anymore, or how bitter he has become at life. I feel like Radar in the shattering of his innocence and in seeing just how insane life is. I feel like Father Mulcahey and how he isn't able to look at life the same way again after everything he has seen. I feel like Potter and how much he is an old soldier. And I feel like Hawkeye in how he will never forget any of his experiences.

Mrs Tuttle

Posted:
11/1/2009 3:21:06 AM

Jeeter wrote:
It makes quite a bit of sense actually. :)I'm sorry to hear about your story with the guy who died of cancer. I'll have to watch Who Knew? again. I completely forget how that episode went, I haven't been watching M*A*S*H as often as i should be.


thanks, its good to know someone understands! Yeah i stopped watching it as much during my exams, but now im back on track!! Hope you get back into watching it more, you been busy??

Jeeter

Posted:
11/1/2009 4:26:31 PM

Mrs Tuttle wrote:
thanks, its good to know someone understands! Yeah i stopped watching it as much during my exams, but now im back on track!! Hope you get back into watching it more, you been busy??

haha yup. Homework has been keeping me pretty busy lately, I can't even remember the last time ive sat down and watched an episode of any TV show. What season are you watching right now? I cant decide which one I should start on.

Mrs Tuttle

Posted:
11/2/2009 2:57:46 AM

Jeeter wrote:
haha yup. Homework has been keeping me pretty busy lately, I can't even remember the last time ive sat down and watched an episode of any TV show. What season are you watching right now? I cant decide which one I should start on.

I know exactly how you feel! lol. I kinda wish that all this school stuff would hurry up and finish already!! I'm watching season seven at the moment. I've almost finished it. I started at season four because i love the bj/hawkeye/frank combo. But then i just kept going. Have you decided which one to start on yet?

Jeeter

Posted:
11/2/2009 8:26:26 PM

Mrs Tuttle wrote:
I know exactly how you feel! lol. I kinda wish that all this school stuff would hurry up and finish already!! I'm watching season seven at the moment. I've almost finished it. I started at season four because i love the bj/hawkeye/frank combo. But then i just kept going. Have you decided which one to start on yet?

We are so off track here lol. Um, i think im gonna start on 5 or 6 tonight, ive seen the first 4 seasons way too many times.

Mrs Tuttle

Posted:
11/4/2009 2:26:29 AM

Jeeter wrote:
We are so off track here lol. Um, i think im gonna start on 5 or 6 tonight, ive seen the first 4 seasons way too many times.

lol. yep way off track! anyways... yeh ive watched season 1-3 so mant times that sometimes i skip them.

Big Daddy O'Reilly

Posted:
12/21/2009 1:54:47 AM

Wow...

You remember that episode where Hawkeye fell in love with the new nurse (WHICH ONE?!), but was uneasy about it because he was under the impression that she was married because she was wearing a ring on her finger?

Well that's reflecting my life at the moment, because I'm in love with a friend of mine, but she has a boyfriend.

Mrs Tuttle

Posted:
12/21/2009 7:51:56 PM

Big Daddy O'Reilly wrote:
Wow...

You remember that episode where Hawkeye fell in love with the new nurse (WHICH ONE?!), but was uneasy about it because he was under the impression that she was married because she was wearing a ring on her finger?

Well that's reflecting my life at the moment, because I'm in love with a friend of mine, but she has a boyfriend.

Don't worry mate, we've all been there. Does she know??
Anyways just remember that it worked out for Hawkeye in the end; I'm sure it will work out for the best with you too =]

Big Daddy O'Reilly

Posted:
12/21/2009 8:09:59 PM

Mrs Tuttle wrote:
Don't worry mate, we've all been there. Does she know??
Anyways just remember that it worked out for Hawkeye in the end; I'm sure it will work out for the best with you too =]

Hell no, she doesn't know, lol! She IS aware that she is my type though.

TxMashFan23

Posted:
1/20/2010 6:33:35 AM

Well I have had to deal with alot of health issues, faced death myself more times than I care to count, and have had to develop a sort of dark humor to deal with things, so I think the show as a whole kinda reflects my life, but narrowing down to one episode...I'd have to say...the one where Hawkeye loses his sight...many parts of the world have been closed down to me...but there is always another part that opens up, and it gives you a whole different perspective on life...there are alot of things most people take for granted, that I never could, simply because...I've come too close to losing it all...including my life...

Big Daddy O'Reilly

Posted:
5/25/2012 10:28:52 PM

I'm late on bumping this thread, but here's another one...

We all remember the subplot of "Images" (6x10), where Margaret was not-so-secretly fond of the stray dog that wandered into camp and hung around because she (and Klinger) was sneaking tablescraps to it and everything, and how heartbroken she was when she learned it was killed by jeep.

We had something similar happen this past fall and winter, we had this stray alley cat that was hanging around our apartment building, and it was such a pitiful cat, she'd just look up at you and meow constantly until you scratched her tummy or something, and she never wanted you to stop... a couple of neighbors (and myself) would feed it as well, then after a while, she just disappeared and we never saw her again.

Jeeter

Posted:
5/26/2012 4:18:11 AM

At the end of "Father's Day" (9.04), the MP tries out some of the steak and is convinced not to let a word out about it. Well, after working today I came home and strangely enough, I walked in on the episode (that my parents were watching) with my steak and started eating it right when the MP started to.

I realize this isn't much of a "reflection", more of a coincidence really. But just throwing it out there.

Big Daddy O'Reilly

Posted:
11/27/2019 2:06:53 AM

I know this is a really old thread, but I'm bumping it because it's donned on me how "L.I.P. (Local Indigenous Personnel)" is suddenly speaking more volume to me right now.

Remember the nurse Hawkeye was actively pursuing in this episode, up until he learns that she's actually a racist bigot who disapproves of "one of our guys" marrying "a gook"? Well, there was a woman I was fancy-ing for quite some time (and apparently I brought her up in this thread years ago), but these last two or three years, I've been seeing a much different, and less appealing side of her that very reminiscent of Lieutenant Hoffman, in that this woman, likewise, has gradually been revealing herself to be racist, homophobic, xenophobic, closed-minded, bigoted, and even misogynistic against her own gender. It certainly isn't pleasant to see what her true colors are like, but I do have a somewhat better appreciation for this episode now.

FinestKindinTN

Email: ryvan@aol.com

Posted:
12/9/2019 11:34:57 AM

I can't think of an episode

but I surely can reflect on situations or characters and see myself and my life in them, both good and bad. An example - Blood Brothers was on this weekend. Mulcahy's sermon really hits me. I, too, get very selfish and focused on myself (the bad) at times. But many times I see it and try to change (the good).

<<  < Back Forward >  >>
Back